Basic Facts about Unemployment

Mike Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Tue Jun 9 14:31:12 PDT 1998

Friends,

Yes, the BLS only uses the idea of "activity" in placing people in the category of "unemployed." Basically, if you are not employed but have searched for work in the past 4 weeks, you are unemployed. Losing unemployment benefits means nothing in this classification. After you have lost them you are unemployed if you're still looking for work.

michael yates