Money and Religion

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 10 11:36:20 PDT 1998

I am curious about the economic power of organized religion, since along with foundations and organized labor, they are players in political affairs (though of course much less directly consequential than capitalists), and they are poised to become more powerful as many neoliberal thinkers and politicians push the so-called non-profits--churches, NGOs, 'civic organizations,' etc.--as a way to compensate for the erosion of social welfare benefits and services. Also, while Americans fiercely object to taxation, private giving to religious organizations has been going up, I think.

How much money does organized religion control? How do they raise it? To what extent does organized religion serve as a way to _tax_ the working class? And don't the wealthy use donations to organized religion in order to minimize their tax obligations while employing religious organizations--their prestige as well as manpower--to influence ideological conditions and even explicitly political affairs? And how do religious organizations spend their money? Who monitors their books?

Shouldn't religious organizations be _taxed_?

Yoshie