Farewell to Kinky Sex? (was Re: what is the christian left?)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jun 10 13:27:09 PDT 1998

Chuck,

>Have you ever read a primary religious text? Do you
>know why Islam, Judaism and Christianity all claim Abraham as their forebear?

Religious texts don't impress me at all. Some pretty language here and there, some sensible advice (though few and far between), mixed up with lots of nonsense, which has been used to oppress many for centuries. Some of the oppressed have also used religious texts, faiths, language, and organizations for their own purposes of resistance and struggles sometimes, but that doesn't give me any reason to think of _religious texts in themselves_ as worthy of respect.

Your comment about Abraham being forebear for three major religions points to a problem of religion. I think that sectarianism of the religious far outstrips sectarianism of the left. Just think of murders and mayhem that we can see in the history of the relationships among Islam, Judaism, and Christianity, not to mention the history of suppression of internal dissent within a given religion.

Yoshie