Nader

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Wed Jun 10 22:31:57 PDT 1998

At 02:45 PM 6/10/98 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>unterwelt at juno.com wrote:
>
>>as far as I'm
>>concerned one Ralph Nader is worth a thousand armchair Marxists.
>
>And I'd take one perfectly grilled salmon over a thousand cans of Spam, too.
>
>Is that the only choice? I know lots of Marxists who leave their armchairs
>to work as union organizers, volunteers in women's shelters, and to do
>popular education. A couple of them wrote the platform for the Labor Party,
>too, which, while it isn't perfect, is still pretty oriented towards the
>real world. I could also caricature the perpetual "activist" who is too
>busy organizing to think, and who greets any question larger than
>stoplight-scale issues as symptomatic of "the paralysis of analysis." The
>rigid theory/praxis split is bad for both theory and praxis.
>
>Doug

Doug,

All marxists are not activists. All activists are not organizers. All organizers are not Alinskyites. All Alinskyites are not preoccupied with stoplights. All professors are not intellectuals. All intellectuals are not scholars. All scholars are not deep thinkers.

Whew! Glad I got that out of my system!

Michael E.