who to reach

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 12 07:31:02 PDT 1998

Gar Lipow writes:

> What bugs me so much is that you have one valid point; many left wing
> groups (however self congratulatory Carroll is about how working class
> we all are)

What, pray tell, is congratulatory (or the opposite) about saying someone is working class. In fact, if you want to put that classification in moralistic terms, by stating that most of the subscribers to this list are working class, and by attacking so many of them for being objectively (and perhaps subjectively) racist and sexist, it was an insult not a congratulation. They are too stupid to recognize that their own class interest depends on the smashing of racism and sexism *within* the working class. Until that task is achieved it is simply stupid to talk about "class-based politics" as (for example) Alterman and Wasow do.

Carrol