Submission, Anyone? (was Re: another century of men on top)

Nathan Newman nnewman at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 12 07:43:38 PDT 1998

-----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

>This emphasis on 'submission' in the language of Christians is rather
>intriguing, sexually speaking. Religious rapture must come from the
>ritualized psychodrama of domination and submission. So, Les, there is
>kinky sex here after all, if we read it closely enough.

Islam speaks of "submission to Allah" as the prime attribute of its faith. And many leftists talked about "submitting to the discipline" of the Party.

And most writers have to submit to an editor on occasion.

An interesting word with many meanings.

The phrase I really like from the Southern Baptist marital relations creed is its talk about the wife submitting to the "servant leadership" of the husband.

This phrase "servant leadership" has been a big thing around the Promise Keepers and is a lovely almost Orwellian way to sell patriarchy by describing the husband as the "servant" of the wife, even as in substance he is the lord. In the Baptist resolution, this relationship of husband to wife is compared to god's relationship to man - as loaded a comparison as I can imagine.

--Nathan