Greed is good

Michael Protenic Jr. mikepro at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 12 21:51:42 PDT 1998

I have to agree with Bill on this very important point - there is no waste like private waste. I have worked for several private firms, and the nexus of "efficiency" theory with them has been, if I may summarize:

1) Make each item (or service) as cheap as possible, unless it is enjoying a bullish share of the market, in which case, we can sell it at any price

2) When profit margins are pinched by other (better?) products on the market, refer to Point One, but in a way that makes sure you lose the most talented people through overwork, underpayment, and lack of support (jettisoned for cost containment)

3) Make every cut in expenses, workforce, and productive culture into its opposite - a victory for our new "lean and mean" look.

4) Make sure your management and salesforce read inspirational literature like "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People"

It is stuff such as this which has real productivity in capitalism at a dynamic standstill!