SCOTT MCLEMEE ON BUKHARIN (NY TIMES BOOK REVIEW)

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Sun Jun 14 07:21:07 PDT 1998

G'day Observers,

Thanks to James Farmelant for passing on Scott's article on Bukharin, 'From the Dustbin of History'. Coincidentally, I'm half way through Donny Gluckstein's *The Tragedy Of Bukharin*. Well written, finely honed in its rendering of important distinctions, changes of mind and contradictions (of which Bukharin himself indulged in many - but in a hot house of on-the-run strategy and many narrowly political tactical swings), sympathetic, leftist and impressively researched, Gluckstein's account sits well with Scott McLemee's take. Am I right in thinking Gluckstein is a Cliffite of sorts? Anyway, a great read - and highly recommended to all.

Cheers, Rob.