Constitutional Longevity. Was Religiosity...

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Mon Jun 15 04:58:26 PDT 1998

Therea re some inaccuracies here. Before the civil war, the US was an agrarian republic, not a capitalistr state dominated by corporations. The Supreme Court before the war was a far more limited institution, having used uits power to invalidate a federal law exactly twice in the anre-bellum period (Marbury and Dred Scott). In that period the Court was hardly a recationary institution as it became under the Lochner-era leadership, with aggressive use of the 14th Amendment to attack progressive-era state legislation.

Checks and abalances and seperation of powers are doctrines that apply within the relation of the branches of the federal government. Far from being a natioanl rerligion I do not think they were particularly important until the 'teens, when the rise of the administrative state began to raise questions that involved them. And they are not reactioonary doctrines, or even particularly conservative.

--jks