Greed is good

Enrique Diaz-Alvarez enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu
Mon Jun 15 09:08:17 PDT 1998

JayHecht at aol.com wrote:

> Let me second Bill. Look at medical insurance payment systems:
> Medicaid/Medicare have the ONLY tape-to-tape third party hospital billing
> systems. Aetna, Blue Cross, forget about it - they suck - it takes hospitals
> forever to collect from them. That's why the Social Secuity expense ratio
> (expenses/premiums) for both the pure indemnity and medical cost is
> infinitesmal compared to the private insurers.
>
> Jason

That would be one of the many reasons, and not the main one. Other reasons include

* No dividends rr stock buybacks * No marketing expenses * No obscene executive salaries * No legalized influence-peddling costs (also known as lobbying) * No dealer networks * No expensive research to determine premium levels

Etc. -- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 758 8962 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique