Jobs and gender (was: Gender, Race, and Publishing on the Left)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jun 16 13:15:30 PDT 1998

At 12:22 PM 6/16/98 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:
>I won't argue that this is false (or that it is true), but I do want to
>point out that the assumption of a "deeply entrenched" *concept* not being
>changeable except over a long period of time is just that, an assumption,
>and a relatively unexamined one at that.

-- snip --

I agree that duration of attitude change can be a moot point. To use your parachute example, it might be a necessity for someone falling down 20,000 feet, but if the guy refuses a parachute because it is too 'sissy' - you have to do a hell of a job to convince him f that necesasity. And if that convincing takes too long, the guy's attitude may never change, as he crashes into the ground.

I've seen people unable or uwilling to give up their culture-embedded mythology even as they were sinking. That may or may not be representatibe of the whole working class or, for that matter, any social groups, but can be a problem.

The example of Zulu oligarchy's resistance to the dismantling of apartheid in South Africa is telling. While these guys were clearly inferior to Whites under the apartheid regime, they were relatively superior to other Blacks. And they were unwilling to give up that little superiority even in exchange for the dismantling of the whole racist system.

I am not arguing such misguided attitudes cannot be changed, my point is that they may not change fast enough. And, of course, there is the perennial 'What is the best way to change them?

Regards, Wojtek