Willy Brandt

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Tue Jun 16 15:40:35 PDT 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, / dave / crossposted from the Times of London:

> WILLY BRANDT, the former West German
> Chancellor, architect of Ostpolitik and
> symbol of the country's Left, was also a
> Soviet KGB agent, according to information
> provided by a Russian defector.

To those of who who aren't acquainted with the German political scene, one brief note: twenty million citizens of the country live in the former GDR, so any hint that Brandt was sympathetic to the East will win the SPD far more votes there than they would ever lose in placid, social democratic, post-Cold War West Germany. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I suspect this whole thing is a plant by the SPD elections squad to wean voters away from the PDS.

-- Dennis