Weightlifting

Michael Protenic Jr. mikepro at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 16 18:04:18 PDT 1998

I worked for four years in a nursing home, and must say the attrition rate due to injury increased dramatically over that time. One reason was staff reduction, mostly along the lines of "Professionalism"; i.e., R.N.'s becoming supervisors and managers, L.P.N.'s becoming shift overseers and pill pushers, while fewer Assistants were apportioned to greater numbers of highly debilitated patients. The average for the firm in which I worked was 1 assistant per 8 patients in 1992, but 1 to 12 in 1995. We were considered good, too.

Another point, however, must be made. The entire industry became deskilled through fly-by-night schools set up to train assistants as quickly as possible, without the proper screening or training for the physical demands that were only increasing. This industry was "growth", and as such many unemployed, regardless of talent, were lining up to try it. You could say, like cattle to the slaughter...