Sex Work: 'Ultimate Commodification'?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 16 21:21:29 PDT 1998

Ingrid wrote: <<Of course many workers, not just sex workers, receive pay for servicing pleasure. But no other workers lay themselves so literally and vulnerably bare to receive their wages. Which is why, no matter how much we may try to improve the terminology, being a sex worker will always be a potent metaphor for selling out. Prostitution, or whatever you want to call it, represents the ultimate commodification of human activity>>

I don't think that commodifying sex is worse or different than commodification of teaching and of taking care of children, for instance. More generally speaking, in what way is it different from commodification of making goods and of offering other kinds of services, for that matter? I don't agree that sex work is 'the ultimate commodification of human activity' as you put it. It is _the way you view sex_ that makes you think that the word 'whore' is 'a potent metaphor for selling out.'

There are many jobs that involve becoming naked--for instance, acting, modeling, etc.

Vulnerability of sex workers doesn't come from the commodification of sex per se. It comes from illegality, moral condemnation, social ostracism, economic conditions, sexism, etc.--material and ideological conditions of work.

Yoshie