Constitutional Longevity. Was Religiosity...

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed Jun 17 09:01:21 PDT 1998

Dan,

Your statement about Tasmania is fairly ridiculous on several counts:

1) Lots of other groups in world history have been wiped out systematically.

2) Arguably the Tasmanians were not totally wiped out as some mixed-race folks survived (offspring, no doubt, of rapes by the invaders). An analogy can be made to the Picts in Scotland whose language was wiped out in the ninth century at a time, immediately after major Viking incursions, that Gaelic invaders killed most of the men and raped most of the women, thereby creating the modern Scottish. Similar outcomes have occurred with numerous American Indian tribes, some of whom did not even get this degree of survival but were totally wiped out (see _Ishi_).

3) Although catastrophic, the numbers involved were relatively small in comparison to the genocides attempted against the Jews and the Armenians in the modern era. Barkley Rosser On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 06:07:22 EDT Dhlazare at aol.com wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu