why is the IBEW refered to as the 'gravediggers'?

Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net
Wed Jun 17 11:29:26 PDT 1998

I am looking for some information on the IBEW (Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers).

I just got out of a meeting this a.m. with a client company which is going to use an IBEW shop for some assembly work in the Northeast US area. During the meeting, one of the company engineers threw me an off-the-cuff remark about the IBEW being called the 'gravediggers'. when i asked him what that meant, he said that they (the IBEW) have 'put a lot of companies out of business'.

Now, i respect this guy's talents in electrical engineering a lot, and will probably be working more with him in the future. And i think he would listen to me if i gave him some other points of view about the IBEW.

So, is anyone here intimately familiar with this union and the 'supposed' actions it took which 'put companies out of business'? I'd like to throw a couple well characterized retorts at my colleague and see if he comes around some. I am looking for any or all of the following:

1.) anecdotal evidence about the IBEW in other locales

2.) some pointers to history of the IBEW; what are some of the key historical negotiations the IBEW have been involved with.

3.) what companies HAVE gone out of business AFTER contract negotiations with IBEW, if any

4.) what are some of the alternative post-mortems for said deaths in 3 that contradict the IBEW gravedigger theory.

5.) does EVERY union get called a gravedigger, or has the IBEW somehow done SOMETHING spectacular to deserve this characterization?

6.) is a union's reputation a nation-wide or world-wide thing, or can a local have a good 'reputation' with some companies in its area, even though globally the union does not have such a good face (or vice versa). by reputation, i refer primarily to how other working class engineers and technicians see that union, rather than the owner/stockholders view of the union.

much thanks

-- ____ Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net ___| ------->> Engineering R&D <<-------- Theoretical & Applied Mechanics | Designspring, Inc. Westport, CT USA Center for Radiophysics & Space Research | http://www.designspring.com Cornell Univ. schaffer at tam.cornell.edu | les at designspring.com