Pecunia non olet? (was: Gender, Race, and Publishing on the Left)

zippycat at erols.com zippycat at erols.com
Wed Jun 17 15:09:07 PDT 1998

I can think of a additional explanation for why sex work is demeaned in our society (and I wholeheartedly agree with Wotjek that it is not merely a gender issue). First, one has to agree that sex work is a highly economically

stratified profession with, however, the greater percent of sex workers living on the economic margins. And Americans, I think, don't have too much problem with sex workers who represent the American success story. "Call girls" are generally benignly perceived by many Americans, and certainly by Hollywood. Those who've achieved wealth and/or fame, such as the Mayflower Madame, Xaviar Hollender, Heidi Fliess, et al, are quite admired for their spunk and initiative. It's just that many (and if not most, then the most visible) sex workers do exist on the margins, and Americans have a culturally ingrained revulsion towards perceived failure or loser-dom. Americans love a winner and will shun perceived losers almost out of a fear that failure is itself contagious. And because economic marginality causes cognitive dissonance for Americans who like to believe that in this country anyone who works hard can achieve success, they are quick to blame the poor for their own misery. Thus "street walkers," like welfare mothers, are viewed with public scorn. Which is why it's so damn impossible to develop any serious left in this country. Too damn many people think that if they can properly admire Bill Gates, their lives will also be blessed with success.

Regards,

Ingrid