Complexities of defining "the disabled" (Was "No comment on ...

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jun 18 19:46:20 PDT 1998

Carrol:
>One can't take really dramatic instances -- the quadriplegic or the person
>living in an iron lung -- as paradigmatic of the disabled because that so
>lends itself to the politics of excluding so-called "soft symptoms." But
>neither can one take instances which are made "disabilities" mostly or
>only because of social responses, because that could slip into a serious
>denial of physical reality.

I take your point. I wasn't making a huge argument as to the concept and reality of disability in general. I was a bit concerned about Marta's quickness to define the California teacher's condition a matter of disability. Yes, because of the law, now the only recourse he has may be to claim the status of the disabled, and as an individual response, this may be the right one.

However, even the teacher's eventually having himself recognized as disabled by the state doesn't quite address the problematic law that indeed created his disability to begin with.

I think that sensationalistic propaganda about sex crime has been used by politicians to make people more willing than otherwise to continue to countenance the 'war on crime.' (The other important tool is drug.) And in my view, the California teacher's case points to the problem of crime scare impinging upon workers' rights, since, as you say, his case would be a very unusual one among the disabled and would not be useful as a starting point for discussion about the disabled.

Yoshie