left conservatism

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 19 08:10:22 PDT 1998

In message <v03102802b1af6c92b179@[128.146.5.16]>, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes
>In my terminology, left conservatives possess the following
>characteristics:
>
>(1) economically populist but socially conservative;
>
>(2) think that anti-sexism, anti-racism, anti-heterosexism, etc. are
>divisive and must be subordinated or postponed;
>
>(3) while economy is a materialist question, gender, race, sexuality, etc.
>are not.

In my terminology left-conservatives exhibit the following characteristics:

1. An inability to appreciate what has changed

2. A preference for state action over independent initiative

3. An innate distrust of ordinary people

4. A willingness to scapegoat sections of society, such as blacks, women, lesbians and gays ... but also suburbanites, 'Essex man' (that's like New Jersey to you Americans), 'toxic families', football 'hooligans', 'male violence' etc etc.

5. A preference to see identities entrenched rather than revolutionised or transcended (I am thinking here of Marx's view that the goal of the working class is its own abolition, for example). -- Jim heartfield