Disability and class

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Jun 19 05:09:45 PDT 1998

William S. Lear wrote:

> On Fri, June 19, 1998 at 07:28:00 (-0800) Doyle Saylor writes:
> >(Marta) Thursday June 18
> >"Practically speaking, when "problems" of access arise, I have found
> >them
> >to be uncomfortably linked to the question of where is the money? ...
>
> >(Doyle) Well said. It is an example to me about how the US global
> >policy of austerity creaps into all the nooks and crannys of
> >society. ...
>
> Isn't it an example of how market systems in general are poor
> providers of needs that are not backed by money?
>
> Bill

The way I see it, it is both. I go to war against market-based social Darwinism in my book which leaves many out of the economic loop. Consider, for instance, the so-called "natural" unemployment rate that leaves thousands compulsorily unemployed. But social democratic influence on government has made an attempt to fill in the holes of the market by providing welfare, etc. Now that the austerity forces are having their way all over the world, these benefits, including disability benefits, are being cut back but the market is not going to make up for that. No one is talking about full employment anymore, are they?

Marta Russell