help

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 20 09:34:26 PDT 1998

Alessandro Coricelli wrote:

>I'm looking for statistical data (either on economy or society, i.e
>workfare etc.) not biased about Giuliani's administration.

You're looking for something that doesn't exist. Giuliani refuses to disclose any information about welfare and workfare. No one knows what's happened to the hundreds of thousands of people who've been kicked off welfare and/or put into workfare. Social scientists trying to do workfare research have to use a dataset that excludes NYC, whose workfare programs are among the most extensive around. An associate of Liz Krueger (of the Community Food Resource Center) who runs a soup kitchen on the Lower East Side thinks that traffic is down at his place because so many clients have died. But who knows?

Doug