Asia and hormones

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jun 20 23:37:03 PDT 1998

Doug wrote:
>I just got nonmember submission bounce from one PF, who said that instead
>of discussing the "major crisis taking place in Asia" we are hearing
>instead "endless drivel about prostitution and identity politics." This
>should appeal to no one else but "captive undergraduates whose hormones
>undoubtedly predispose them to reading whatever is most titillating." The last
>line was, "Doug if I were you I'd be embarassed." Is this left conservatism?

Oh no, Doug, this guy's merely saying that what turns him on is to look voyeuristically at the 3-D spectacle of deflation, depression, devaluation, etc. in Asia and that other topics just don't do it for him. Hardcore pornography of financial dissolution and nothing else titillates the guy.

Anyway, he must have a very short attention span, for from the inception of lbo-talk, there have been a number of posts and threads on Asia, some of which have been contributed by those who have discussed 'prostitution' and other subjects--including yours truly. (Not that our 'discussion' makes any difference AT ALL for the working class in Asia now.)

BTW, if I were you, I would ban the use of the terms 'identity politics' and 'postmodernism.' The terms allow folks to say stupid things without furthering discussion in any way.

Yoshie