Jobs and gender (was: Gender, Race, and Publishing on the Left)

Justin Schwartz jschwart at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Sun Jun 21 20:55:51 PDT 1998

> At 12:24 PM 6/18/98 -0400, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> >>Sexual harrassment has two legal definitions:
> >>
> >>1. Sexual demands which are unwanted by the recipient.
> >>2. The creation of a sexually demeaning atmosphere.

Neither of these bear exact relation to my uderstanding of the legal definitions of sexual harassment under Title VII. The first is sort of close to an element of both of the two kinds of sex hrassament, which are

1. Quid pro quo, the conditioning of job opportunities on offensive and unwelcome sexual advances, and

2. Hostile work environment, not requiting QpQ, the creation of an work environment involving offensive and unwelcome sexual attentions that unreasonaly interferes with the plaintiff's work. This is sort of close to the second.

--jks