Black....Michael P on Comintern. A correction.

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 22 11:58:57 PDT 1998

At 12:00 PM 6/22/98 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:
>If you read through this whole thread carefully you will see that I and
>several others are talking about *the route to* a "universalist" (i.e.,
>working-class (multi-racial, multi-national, whatever label) movement. WE
>are arguing that black organizations which *will look like but NOT be*
>exclusivist movements are under the historical conditions through which
>the u.s. working class has evolved the only route to unity across racial
>divides.

I reply (WS): I remain skeptical about arguments for 'temporary solutions' en route achieving the universal goal of communist society; vanguard party, dictatorship of the proletariat, various nationalisms - I think these are precisely the junctures where the left went astray; nationalism has been a Trojan horse to the left, and to push that metaphor even further, I am amazed how easily we ignore the warnings of the Left's Cassandra, Rosa Luxemburg, who would rather go to prison than embrace nationalism.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I just fail to see how exactly nationalism, Black or otherwise, will "lift itself by its bootstraps" to universalism and internationalism.

>[And certainly ( this is *not* in reference to you) those who feel in
>anyway personally abused or affronted by being excluded from black
>caucuses or black conferences or women's caucuses, etc.: every kind of

I reply (WS): I do not feel personally offended in any way by such exclusions, just as I am not offended by the existence of any other exclusive club. I view it as an opportunity to discuss the organizing strategy for the left, not to register personal grievances.

Regards,

Wojtek