Black Radical Congress and "the Left"

Tom Waters twaters at usit.net
Tue Jun 23 10:08:03 PDT 1998

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Michael Eisenscher wrote:

> You still don't get it.

What would constitute getting it? Joining you in the assumption that the issue here is what goes on in my head and other non-black radical heads? You have no reason to suppose that I am threatened, offended, or upset by the BRC's policy, or that cowardice was the only thing stopping me from picketing the congress. In fact, I said that the BRC would be a good thing if it had good effects. I intend to know it by its fruits. But you should be prepared to critically evaluate the idea of specifically inviting black radicals only, rather than dancing around the definition of exclusion or shifting the topic to my psyche.

> I have not heard any word from the BRC or its organizers that said whites
> shall not be permitted to discuss issues of concern to African Americans.

Indeed not. It was you who said that it would be insensitive to question the correctness of whatever the BRC organizers happen to decide.

> You seem to be saying you don't trust African
> American radicals to be able to meet and come to their own judgments and
> political conclusions about how best to conduct their own and the class
> struggle without you and other white radicals being present to advise and
> correct them when they wander from the "correct" path. If that is what you
> are suggesting (as I interpret your last sentence), it is patronizing,
> insensitive, and condescending -- precisely the kind of interaction from
> white Leftists that one might conclude motivates a desire to be able to meet
> without having to debate them at the same time.

I think it is conceivable that any group of radicals could come to conclusions with which I would disagree. Unless you disagree with that you are arguing with a demon of your own.

> I don't know you, and
> don't want to leap to presumptuous conclusions,

???

All I did was dispute your claim that no non-black people were excluded from the BRC and argue that it was appropriate for non-black people to evaluate the BRC's approach critically. You have leapt to a great many conclusions.

Tom

Thomas Waters twaters at usit.net 1021 East Oak Hill Avenue, Knoxville TN 37917 Dig And Be Dug In Return