[Fwd: Article I am working on for Z]

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jun 23 11:56:19 PDT 1998

Mike Albert: If we go from having had class in the saddle of a one horse show, to having race, gender, and sex in three saddles of three horses running largely at odds with each other, back to the one horse class myopia – it will pile shame and error upon shame and error. Dump the horses entirely.

Louis Proyect: And this idiot is the editor of a high-visibility radical magazine? God help us. One can imagine him reviewing the copy that comes across his desk. I couldn't write incoherent, impressionistic garbage like this at the point of a gun. Okay, let me give it a try:

"The scylla of class and the charbyda of race, gender and sex have caused the Marxist ship to founder on the rocks in the past because nobody has taken the trouble to raise the sails of participatory decision-making. When we sail down a river backwards, there might be a big waterfall awaiting us but as long as the winds are favorable, we can navigate toward safety. That is where the rudder comes into play. The rudder should be seen as the solidarity we feel toward each other once all the rigid boundaries are broken down, especially classism. The reason that the Soviet Union collapsed is their rudder got caught in reverse and the winds died down. When the ship went over the waterfalls, everybody got drownded."

Louis Proyect