Asia and hormones

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jun 23 18:35:01 PDT 1998

> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Max Sawicky wrote:
>
> > I mentioned before that years ago
> > I read some Jameson and enjoyed it; I did not, however,
> > confuse lit-crit with political work.
>
> Lit-crit *is* political work, just on a very different level. The
> interpretive is the political, but there are all kinds of levels and
> complexities to politics: most organizing is short-term, issue-based
> stuff, while lit-crit and theory is where the long-term strategizing,
> essential research, teaching etc. gets hashed out. Both are important, and
> neither can function effectively without the other.

I don't mean to demean anyone's academic output. Some of my best friends are profs, even English profs. I almost wound up as one myself, but for the guilt induced by friends' endless nagging. It occurs to me that a couple of you folks may know one of them--Dick Wasson at Rutgers. One of my oldest buddies.

It's hard enough for radical political activity to have political effect. That should go several times over for radical scholarship, however illuminating it may be.

In the long run all of our books are overdue.

MBS Action Faction