BRC (replies)

Nathan Newman nnewman at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 23 18:47:22 PDT 1998

-----Original Message----- From: Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

>Carrol found it
>disingenuous and racist that I could lump together all black
nationalists,
>seemingly forgetting that Marable and West at best waffled about the
>Million Man March.

For the record, neither West nor Marable waffled on the Million Man March.

West supported it (however critically) and Marable very publicly opposed it. Within the Committees of Correspondence (of which Marable is a co-chair), there was a lot of criticism that Marable and Charlene Mitchell (another co-chair) and Angela Davis had taken such a public stance against the Million Man March. At the time I thought the discussion highlighted very good arguments both for and against the event.

Organizing has its own energy and the Left will thrive most in the midst of that energy. That 2000 black radicals could come together in Chicago probably had some connection to the success of the Million Man March, however much many of those same black radicals opposed the march in the first place.

--Nathan Newman