Report from Z Media Institute 98 (fwd)

Peter Kilander peterk at enteract.com
Tue Jun 23 20:56:00 PDT 1998

I've read both of the Parecon books and am holding judgement. Justin is right in that it depends heavily on computers. Hahnel and Albert want to minimize the power of "coordinators" through democratic planning. I guess it shouldn't, but it seems odd to me to see leftists complain about too much democracy. Obviously, there's a trade off between democratic planning and efficiency, but what do we mean exactly when we say "efficiency"? Maybe the trick is to steer between the Charybdis of endless meetings and the problems of accurate data collection and analysis and the Scylla of Leninism.