Chemical Weapons in the 'War on Drugs'

Tue Jun 23 22:11:23 PDT 1998

According to an excellent WSJ story by Paulette Thomas "Making Crime Pay: Triangle of Interests Creates Infrastructure To Fight Lawlessness" 5/12/94 [Thomas also wrote some excellent analysis of redlining], the federal crime budget had increased from about $6B to almost $20B in a decade (and one suspects it has taken off further since then due to that crime bill, despite the brave opposition of Clinton and the House Democrats). She details how many Cold War contractors had shifted to provisioning the war on crime and describes the nexus of interests which benefit from and drive the war on crime while reminding us how many people become locked up for low level non violent offenses. I have never read Jeffrey Reiman's book on how the poor get prison, only skimmed David Garland's award winning sociological study of the penal system (in which he discusses the early Frankfurt School's fascinating criminological studies, which--Dennis will tell us--may not have been republished). Michael E's message reminds me of how in Theories of Surplus Vlaue Marx ridicules how productive crime is by describing all the industries it "grows" (in modern speak)--security guards, locks, locksmiths, etc. best, rakesh