against entrenched identity

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Wed Jun 24 08:40:50 PDT 1998

IMHO, stopping Corporate Capitalism is vastly more important than Black, Gay, Women's, or other real or ideological "struggles" at this point in time because we will all achieve freedom and equality after the biosphere can no longer sustain us.

Just a thought, Joshua2 ---------------------------

Putting off the revolution in favor of 'soft' issues? I think this opinion, which I more or less shared until several years ago, reveals a misunderstanding of how corporate capitalism or as I like to called it totalizing capitalism works at this point in time.

The two poles of this question or issue, class struggle v. identity politics are intimately linked together. When blacks are paid less per hour, presumably because they are worth less, it is called racism. When women are paid less per hour, it is presumably because they are also worth less, and that is called sexist. When white trash are paid less, it isn't called anything, but the excuse is that they are ignorant, lack education, training and job skills. When immigrants are paid less it is presumably because they are worth less due to ignorance, lack of education and training and they don't speak English. In each case the form of the argument is the same, and so is the result--more work, less pay--in other words oppression and exploitation--in other words oppression of the working class.

So, in this historical moment the form of working class oppression is racism, sexism, homophobia, and various other form of discrimination because the core of that discrimination takes the form of suppressed wages. The means to stop or at least make the giants stumble is exactly the same as always: strikes, boycotts, political organization, advocacy and the legal battles--oh, yeah, and occassionally violent mass confrontations.

It isn't a question of, is ending racism or sexism more important than working class struggle. They are interlocked together.

Chuck Grimes