Heat and Light on Race. Was: Black Rad. C

Jamie Owen Daniel jdaniel at uic.edu
Wed Jun 24 15:07:35 PDT 1998

Folks,

I've just re-subscribed to the lbo list and thus am entering the discussion of the BRC in mid- or perhaps late stream. I want to respond to Carrol's reply today to Doug's inquiry about what actually went on at the BRC (tagged on below) and to several comments made yesterday and today on the BRC.

I teach at UIC in Chicago where the BRC was held & I organized the annual eight-day Institute on Culture and Society of the Marxist Literary Group which met June 13-20 and thus coincided with the BRC. (Thanks again, Doug, for joining us.) When I realized this coincidence would be the case, I immediately asked black colleagues at UIC and black comrades from political organizations to which I belong who were working on the organizing committee about whether we (the mostly white MLG people) would be able to attend some of the BRC sessions.

>From the get-go, it was clear that the question of just how the BRC
could be a specifically BLACK Radical Congress if it were open to white registrants was one over which the organizers were agonizing. In the weeks just before the BRC I was in daily contact with these people, who made it clear that heated arguments were going on and continued to go on over this issue until the last minute. My friends on the committee finally informed me that, although they were deeply, painfully conflicted about making such a request, they would prefer that the BRC be understood to be a specifically black event, meant to allow a space for black activists with often widely divergent positions and politics to meet and figure out ways to work with each other, understanding this as a vitally necessary first and long-overdue step to take BEFORE it would be possible to begin to address how to make stronger links with predominantly white activist/left/radical constituencies.

I informed the MLG registants of this, most of whom understood the issues and respected the organizers' preference. However, those who disagreed with the policy went over to the Friday night opening plenary and were admitted without opposition or any resistance.

Reading some of the responses to the BRC "exclusivity" policy on this list and others has convinced me that it was indeed necessary as a FIRST step, as Carrol realizes, toward a more unified black&white left. Comments such as those yesterday by someone who claimed that "combatting corporate capitalism was more important than Black, Gay or Women's 'struggles'" (the quotes here obviously implying that these aren't authentic struggles) are PRECISELY what the BRC organizers are reacting to--the smug finger-shaking superiority of traditional leftists who assume everyone else should be as able as they are to consider race- and gender-based experiences of oppression secondary effects of class oppression, and therefore not worthy of the primary attention of "serious" leftists such as themselves. There's been an undercurrent of dismissiveness toward "identity" issues on this and many, many other supposedly left lists and discussions of late, often pitting "identity politics", caricatured, against "real politics", equally caricatured or left undefined. I won't list here the many, many recent books/articles etc. in this vein, but simply note that the worst excesses of the worst kind of "identity politics" haven't simply sprung up out of the blue overnight. Rather, they've been consistently fertilized at least since the 1970s by a rich supply of self-righteous doo-doo unwittingly provided by those lefties whom "anonymous" referred to earlier today as "whiny, condescending bourgeois whites" (Rakesh's "Nation" readers who see the magazine as a mirror of bourgie middle-class progressive values and priorities), folks who don't have to prioritize or even think much about race or gender if they don't want to. As long as they chose to exercise this option, an option that simply isn't available for most Americans, groups like the BRC will sontinue to see, and to rightly see, the white middle-class progressive left as an obstacle to be overcome rather than as a potential partner.

This point has been made often enough over the years, but it sure seems to be taking a long time to sink into some folks' heads.

Jamie