Libertarian communists?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jun 25 08:24:01 PDT 1998

Heartfield:

<<It is just an historical accident that the twin goals of solidarity and freedom were ever separated and counterposed. . . .

A libertarian communist is someone who has nothing to lose but her chains."

All fine and dandy, but I'm still dying to hear: are you a syndicalist or communalist or council communist, or something new and strange?

Second, if you are positing sub-units of some type for which internal production is social but external economic relations are mediated through markets, how does one escape the shortcomings of bourgeois 'market freedom'?

I should say I think syndicalism/council communism is an honorable, albeit problematic position, and it is mischievous of Louis to describe this as unvarnished 'libertarianism,' but this is only made possible by your failure to come clean.

Regards,

MBS