Future of Keynesianism

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 15:05:57 PDT 1998

The BIS Annual Report just out shows 1997 current account balances as follows. The US deficit was $166bn. Canada and Australia weighed in next with $12 bn and $13 bn deficits (unusually, the UK showed a $7bn surplus). The Japanese surplus was $97bn. The total EU surplus was $124 bn. Thus the anglo-saxon deficits ($191bn) more or less match the EU/Japanese surplus ($221bn). Most of the Asian ex-tigers showed deficits. Without anglo-saxon demand, given the collapse of Japanese domestic demand and the sluggishness of Germany and France, the world would have gone into recession quicker than it will.

Mark