Leadership

Richard Gibson rgibson at pipeline.com
Fri Jun 26 19:39:04 PDT 1998

Call the union and offer to help? Still laughing....is this like the time many of us in Detroit went to the UAW led newspaper picket lines to assist them in stopping production, and the UAW leadership busied themselves with breaking the picket lines? Or is this like the time the UAW had a nearly third of its membership on strike or layoff, and the leadership busied themselves with their own uncontested reelections in Las Vegas? Or is this like the time at the Mack Avenue plant take over when the UAW shipped in people from all over the country to drag the workers out of the plant? Gag.

The UAW under Yokich is the same authoritarian, anti-democratic, gang of hacks with fundamentally the same vision---going back to the days of Reuther and Bluestone. Consider the maneuvering to get Bob King out of Region I and to replace hime with a Yokich wannabe. Or reconsider the fact that the UAW did indeed lead the botched newspaper strike.

Neither the AFL -CIO nor the relatively privileged North American industrial working class is likely, in the foreseeable future, to launch a struggle to establish the practice and ideas necessary for democratic or egalitarian social change. This does not mean the workers never will. It does mean they won't soon.

The struggles for justice in the near future will lilely come from youth, in schools and out--and others locked out of the industrial working class....

Sisternally, best. rich

At 08:37 PM 6/26/98 -0700, you wrote:
> Dear Doug and the Left Buysiness Observers,
>It's always easy to blame the union leadership, and, that's the easy way
>out that a lot of people take when the pressure is on!!! I know you to be
>a very smart and righteous gentleman Give your union a call and ask them
>what you can do to help out. Fraternally,
>Tom
Rich Gibson Director of International Social Studies Wayne State University College of Education Detroit MI 48202

http://www.pipeline.com/~rgibson/index.html http://www.pipeline.com/~rgibson/meap.html

Life travels upward in spirals.

Those who take pains to search the shadows

of the past below us, then, can better judge the

tiny arc up which they climb,

more surely guess the dim

curves of the future above them.