Autosaurs

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jun 28 10:41:01 PDT 1998

Michael Eisenscher posted an AP story to his own mailing list about savage fighting within the Teamsters. Here's the lead:

>Teamsters Have Internal Strife
>
>By Kevin Galvin
>Associated Press Writer
>Saturday, June 27, 1998; 12:44 p.m. EDT
>
>WASHINGTON (AP) -- As doubts grow about the
>upcoming Teamsters election, acting union president Tom
>Sever has raised tensions with political rivals by
>dismantling the union department responsible for
>reaching out to members.

This is looking rather bad. With Hoffa quite likely to win the Teamster presidency, and with Sandra Feldman quite likely to bring the teachers back into the AFL-CIO, and with Richard Trumka constantly rumored to be on the verge of indictment, are the days of the "New Voice" leadership numbered? Or, even if Sweeney stays, is he likely to retreat from everything decent he's done so far and become 100% hack? The firing of Richard Bensinger as organizing director, and the continuing influence of the old cold warriors in the international department, are not happy signs. Am I being too gloomy?

Doug