GM strike: a question (off-list)

Mike Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Tue Jun 30 07:02:21 PDT 1998

Friends,

I was not demonizing the UAW, just offering some criticisms. And the CAW is no longer a part of the UAW. "Final Offer" was made in the mid 1980s and maybe women are better represented in CAW now. But, let's face it, not many unions have done right by women, even the best ones like the old United Packinghouse Workers. Perhaps Justin can tell us how many women are involved in UAW national negotiations with the big auto companies.

Michael Yates

p.s. I read an article in the local (Pittsburgh) paper about the GM strike in Flint. One young women said that getting a job in the plant was like hitting the lottery. This says a lot about what working people expect out of life and maybe says a lot about the failure of organized labor to take up the issue of the nature of work.