GM strike: change or die

C. Petersen ottilie at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 30 12:48:23 PDT 1998

> The basic error of opportunism , the UAW's included,
> is to attempt
> to solve the workers' problems within the capitalist system .
> Reutherism and the UAW policy at bottom does not seek
> to be part of a movement to end capitalism and seeks only
> reforms, not revolutionary change. It therefore is not
> militant class struggle trade unionism.
>
> The situation in Flint is the result of that long term policy
> and its more recent manifestations specifically related to
> Flint as mentioned by Doug. If the UAW concedes the
> ultimate perogatives of private property to GM , et al.,

Does anyone know the standard wage of a run of the mill assembly line worker either at GM, Chrysler etc. I was watching this story on TV and someone started calling the strikers spoiled brats and said that they earn about $70,000/year on average, and that seemed pretty high, especially considering how poor of a town Flint is. I mean, people with boring repetitive jobs deserve pay compensation for that.