activism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 1 13:27:00 PDT 1998

Gar Lipow nominates activism as the antidote to all those disabling oppositions. Yes, but the whole idea of activism as an antidote to theoretical isolation reproduces the division it aims to undermine. A few years ago, I was on a panel about economic development in NYC, and most of my colleagues were hot on stimulating small business. I piped up to say that for the most part, small business jobs pay less, offer few benefits and less training, are typically more dangerous and more volatile. For saying this, I was denounced by an activist for exhibiting the "paralysis of analysis."

Doug