intro

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Sat May 2 07:37:42 PDT 1998

Dennis, I'm slow at reading charts, and I'm having difficulty interpreting this one. I assume that a "Total" should refer to the sum of some set of numbers, but I can't make *any* of the numbers below add up to even an approximation of the numbers in the "Total" column. Please explain a little bit. Are all of them absolute figures or are some of them percentages? What, for example, does the 57.9 billion in the first row refer to: China's total foreign debt? Then what is 18.7 a total of? And does the 2.9 for EU include the sums for France, Germany, and UK, and if so why is it smaller than any of them. I am utterly bewildered. Part of the trouble is that "Exposure" is not a meaningful term to anyone who does not know the full context.

Carrol