activism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat May 2 14:06:10 PDT 1998

I have no how-to manual for revolution, but one of the things that need to be done, I think, is to stop pretending that activists do not have theories, that is, ways of making sense of the world, of social relations, and of means + ends of social change. All activists do, whether or not they think much of the role of theory. Further, paid activists who head 'non-profit' organizations, it seems to me, tend to develop an ideology that justifies their social positions, which ought to be subject to critique.

Activists who hope to create a world in which they won't have to be 'activists' have no reason to think that such critique diminishes our work.

Yoshie