cultural politics/"real" politics

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat May 2 14:55:19 PDT 1998

Jim Heartfield's post seems to treat the terms 'cultural politics,' 'politics of desire,' 'identity theory,' etc. interchangeably. I don't think that they mean the same thing.

That said, some parts of Jim's post remind me of a couple of songs by the Smiths.

"All the streets are crammed with things Eager to be held I know what hands are for And I'd like to help myself You ask me the time But I sense something more And I would like to give you What I think you're asking for...." ("Handsome Devil")

The above speaks of the relationship between social surplus and the erotic, with irony and style that would appeal to the unemployed, underemployed, and otherwise alienated youths who have little money but plenty of time to spare. (This is the angle I think Jim is missing, probably because he's financially better off than I am.)

More from the Smiths:

"I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving England is mine and it owes me a living Ask me why and I'll spit in your eye Ask me why and I'll spit in your eye....

...And if you must go to work tomorrow Well if I were you I wouldn't bother For there are brighter sides to life And I should know because I've seen them But not very often...." ("Still Ill")

In this age of "workfare," the above sentiment is almost (though not quite) subversive.

Yoshie