activism

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Sat May 2 15:35:56 PDT 1998

Please, Gar. You write,

> Bottom line -- I'm asking people to build a library of long term strategies
> activists can borrow from, a menu of long term strategies activist can choose
> from.

Further continuation of this will be up for others, because after this post I'm going on to other concerns for awhile. (Though in the meantime I will try to read your posts carefully enough to determine if they do posit principles that can make us mutually intelligible.) The phrase "strategies activists can borrow from" puts us in quite different "worlds." Again, it may be merely verbal, I hope so, but taken in its current context, it can only suggest to me a world of abstract, "autonomous" ['dot-like' as Marx says] "individuals," each going about plowing his/her separate little furrow, only attending to the rest of the world in terms of a "library" "ideas" which he/she can select from as a shopper selects from brands of chile beans on the grocer's shelves.

But we need *a* strategy, one which unites our varied activities (please note, "activities," like "activist," is a sort of shorthand, not carrying much substantive weight) into a common struggle. There can be no such thing as a "library of strategies." That reeks of the Harvard Business School.

Carrol