activism

Gar W. Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Sat May 2 18:27:44 PDT 1998

Interesting. Single payer health is a big movement here in Washington (finally) . It has both the avantages and disadvantages of being led by doctors. The advantage is that it is fairly well funded compared to your average grass roots movement. The disadvantages is that the doctors are used to being at the top of a pretty extreme hierarchy and tend to use a very top down style. This is mitagated by the realization that they cannot win by playing the advertising/corporate game. In point of fact there is a co-ordinated initiatives and referendums planned for simulaneious presenatation in California, Oregon and Washington States. This is to be preceded by a two year door to door campaign aimed at creating a large base which understands the issue in depth and thus is immune to last minute ad barrages.

While the single payer movement accepts help from any part of the spectrum which offers it, it remains a single issue movement not closely linked to any movement. (It is at least not repeating the mistake the California single payer initiative made a few years ago of trying to pander to the anti-choice movement.) So, as a lowly volunteer within this movement, the only way I can promote links to other movements is to occasionally point out to other volunteers similiarities between the need for single payer health, and the need for public provision of other public goods, and the broader importance of economic equality.

Winning this immediate battle is an important place put our energies right now.. But if we do win I have the feeling there is an opportunity here to do something more. The question is what, and how do we take advantage of it.