Old answers to new questions

Hugh Rodwell m-14970 at mailbox.swipnet.se
Sun May 3 05:17:27 PDT 1998

Dave Graham further clarifies his syndicalist position on the current upsurge in worker militancy (fwd from Labor-List).

Cheers,

Hugh

____________________________

Dear All

Because of my incompetence with this technology and perhaps because I am getting old, I have somehow managed to delete every single message on this thread from my 'In box', 'saved messages etc etc so I am writing this from memory.

Firstly a plea - don't turn my questions into an academic or ideological debate.

My purpose in asking the questions was not simply one of seeking information, although that in itself is something that needs doing. Too many of the replies that I received were simply an excuse to serve up 'old wine in new bottles', and to fight ideological battles that come from the days of the Second International.

So the first thing is - we need to know in far more detail what is actually happening on the ground. Some of this information can be got from the press [even the Left press but in my experience this is the least informed].

Some can only be got by actually going out and asking people. Here in Liverpool during the dispute [ and still ] it is relatively easy for us to go and ask the dockers what is happening, to find out their general thinking, even the disagreements they are having amongst one another. Because by and large we have earned their trust and we have not broken any confidences they are quite willing to do this. One of the things that we learned very quiclky was the variety of political expressions and sophistication amongst dockers - this is perhaps the most politically informed section of workers in the world. So no bollocks about 'trade union consciousness' please.

I had hoped that those on these lists who particularly share my thinking might have been able to do the same and ask people directly. I would surmise that this has not been the case. Presumably those making the decisions which count are not making themselves available for comment or even justifying their actions. Hence the lack of reply from the union. And perhaps the militants feel bound to the MUA and so are not 'open' or amenable to voicing their real thoughts and feelings.

This I half expected.

However from the lack of news from the pickets, and other scenes of mass activity, I would gues that the 'social space' that real, autonomous movements of workers need to organise such things, also hardly exists. If it did people would find it far easier to raise the issues that need raising - we would have as a mate of mine here calls it, 'collectivity'. This would generate a lot of energy and debate, but I see little evidence so far of this.

This is itself is very telling. It rather puts in perspective all the talk of some on these lists of 'mass, wildcat pickets' and so on. And it certainly knocks the idea of party building completely on the head. If the working class needs a party [and who knows in the future it might] - it would build one. Here not many dockers came away from a day on the picket line saying 'what we need is a new party' - on an average picket line there were generally representatives of at least half a dozen they could choose from. Significantly also, over the whole 28 months of the dispute the only recruit I know of is Jimmy Nolan who joined Arthur Scargill's SLP - well done Arthur.

Secondly there have recently been some people who have begun to develop some of the questions that I had posed [an example here is Earl Gilman who brings up the experiences he knows of amongst Hispanic workers - thanks for raising this experience Earl]. This it seems to me is where much useful work [and it is work] can be done. This was my main purpose in posing the questions

The questions I asked demand practical answers - answers in the here and now. Irrespective of whether the MUA 'wins' the present dispute [and what 'winning' means in the present context is debatable] the Patrick's workforce has lost its jobs. What is to happen to them ?

Will the banks put together a 'rescue package' [and saddle the workforce /MUA/ community] with a load of debt? Or will the workers themselves see that we are no longer dealing with a simple jobs issue but one involving the entire question of the reproduction of the working class in modern capitalist society. I found it very interesting that banks are being picketed and their role being questioned - more information please.

How are these workers managing - what structures and organisation is emerging to look after the homes, feeding, kids, education, leisure and so on of Patrick's workers ? Or because they are alleged to be a 'priveleged' labour aristocracy' [NOT] are they simply being left to the capitalist market or the Oz social [in]security system to solve ?

I could go on and on, but I am not on the spot and without such hard information [information which I tried to provide in my reports during the dispute here] it is very hard to understand and relate to what is going on.

If the answers to the kinds of questions I am asking can be forthcoming, workers all over the world will be able to relate much more concretely to what is happening and the muzzle, that official organisation is able to put over our struggle, will be much more effectively broken.

As ever, my grateful thanks to those who are, as we say here 'on my wavelength'.

And if anyone in Oz can actually get answers to my questions . . . .

Take care

DG

'Those who work hard and do their best - go down the road with all the rest.'

my mate Jimmy Burns

PS I don't even have copies of my original posts.