Jewish art, Jewish politics

Mike Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Mon May 4 09:00:34 PDT 1998

Friends,

In this connection, has anyone seen the movie "A Price above Rubies," which is set in an Hasidic community in NYC. In my mind, the movie paints a pretty bleak picture of life in such a community if you are of an independent mind or a woman. Of course, if you are a believer, I imagine that the community offers you things not obtainable in the totally alienating culture of capitalism.

Michael Yates