cultural politics/"real" politics

Thomas Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Mon May 4 09:21:29 PDT 1998

Regarding:

>I'm not sure what the significance of this point is, except that in
>speaking of current sexual ideology (as in speaking of current capitalism)
>one must beware of seeing as "new" what has been with us all along.
>
>Carrol

Good point Carrol, but there is this, for example:

"It is often argued that uncontrolled, expolitative relationships of production are the oldest story, so that sweatshops represent classical capitalism, not advanced captialism. But it is precisely the development of the sweatshops and of other unregulated actitvities after a long period of insitutional control that causes old forms of production to become new ones." (Castells and Portes, 1989, on the informal economy in New York, Colombia, etc.).

Point: the old in the new is, in fact, new.

Tom Kruse / Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-42) 48242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net