cultural politics/"real" politics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 4 10:16:29 PDT 1998

Jim heartfield wrote:

>What I am reacting against is the mood that sees working class
>consumption as profligacy and waste, but middle class consumption as an
>earnest and imaginative investigation of desire.
>
>Hence my attitude to the car.

I'm not sure how you're class-angling the car Jim. "Middle class" people, whoever they are exactly, drive more vehicle miles than poor people. All those suburbanites in their sport utility vehicles - suburban assault vehicles, as they say - aren't investigating their desire, they're fouling the air.

Doug