rural idiocy

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue May 5 11:35:24 PDT 1998

In message <l03130308b17502160d97@[166.84.250.86]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>Jim heartfield wrote:
>
>>Come on guys! Look honestly into your own consciences and come clean:
>>its not the cars that irritate you, its those pushy plebs in them.
>
>What pisses me off most about the vehicular culture is smug fathead
>suburbanites in their sport utility vehicles. Are they "pushy plebs" in you
>book?

Well, thanks for coming clean.

The number of people living in suburbs in the US has exceeded that living in cities since 1970 (US Department of Commerce, Social and Economic Statistics Administration, Bureau of the Census, Statistical Abstract of the United States, 1974, p 17).

By my reckoning that means a considerable section of the US working class lives in so-called 'suburbs'. People in Britain are pretty snotty about the suburbanites, too. In Hampstead they are very arch about people from Essex and their 'Estuary English', mock-Georgian front oors and so on. -- Smug Fathead