Auto-plant design and worker orgranizing: was, well, lots of other things

Mike Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Tue May 5 13:02:01 PDT 1998

Friends,

I once participated in an attempt to organize a glass factory in Meadville, PA. The plant was not really in a town, so it was not too accessible. Workers told me that the company (PPG Industries) made an effort to hire workers from various of the small towns near the plant (plus al ot of workers live in the countryside and not in a town) with the purpose of making it hard for the workers to get together. After work, they get in their cars and pickups and head for home. In my own hoetown, there was also a PPG glass factory, but everyone lived in the town or very close by. People went to bars and clubs and the same few churches, so socializing beyond the workplace was not hard. this helped to create a greater sense of solidarity.

On the issue of worker access to computers, I'd recommend reading works by Harley Shaiken. In plants with numerical controlled machines, I would be surprised if the workers get to do more than push buttons and watch what happens. Of course, the new technology offers a lot of good possibilities, but capitalism cannot allow these to be realized. I just re-read Braverman's "Labor and Monopoly Capital" in preparation for a talk I have to give this weekend. It sure holds up well after nearly 25 years. There is a lot in it about computers and workers.

Michael Yates